Friday, September 26, 2008

If you were me....?

This story starts in June when I went to Jacksonville and ended up interviewing with FSDB. It was the end of several weeks of traveling and my back was killing me. When mom and I got to the airport we found a spa. We had 30 minutes so we both got chair massages. (I have to tell you that I was never a massage person until a french canadian man decided to plow his delivery truck into my car, leaving me with incessant neck and back pain).

Anyway, when we got to our terminal we discovered that our flight was delayed. What else is there to do in a small airport? So we went back for more! When we returned we were informed they had rooms in the back where we could get real massages. Mom was paying, so of course I indulged. And I got one of the best massages I've ever had! The girl's name was Nicole and she was great.

When mom and Doug helped me move down here they flew home and made a visit to the spa on their way out. Mom got Nicole's number because she does in home massages. This was great news for me, because if I'm going to train for this 1/2 marathon I'm going to need to have massage therapy.

So a few weeks ago, I was flying home for the weekend and stopped by the spa. I was happy to see Nicole was there and decided to get a 20 minute chair massage. So I'm sitting there, trying to relax and enjoy this moment. Suddenly, I start to feel like I'm going to puke...I think "this is not going to be a comfortable massage, but I'll be okay"....I'm trying to convince myself this is true, because of course I don't want to tell the lady I suddenly feel as though I will vomit. And I don't even understand why this is happening.

Then I start feeling really hot and realize that I'm not going to be able to make it through the massage...so I sit up and say, "You're not hurting me, but I feel really nauseous all of a sudden." As she's saying, "Are you okay...should I get a trash can?", I realize I can't see. So I say, "I don't know I feel like I might pass out, maybe I should drink some water."

And then without any further warning. I just completely pass out. When I "wake up" she helps me walk to a back room (because let's face it...this is really bad for business). As I'm walking my vision is still tunneled and very fuzzy, but I know I'm walking past several workers and customers so I'm trying to get it together. My memory of this part isn't quite as vivid, but I'm positive that I was gagging and making "I'm gonna puke" faces as I tried not to actually vomit. She leaves me on a massage table in a back room and I drink some water while she goes to (I assume) talk with her co-workers about the crazy passing out redhead.

She rejoins me in the room as I lay in the dark, attempting to fully return to reality. After a while I feel fine and we re-enter the front of the spa. Everyone is staring at me asking, "Are you ok?", "Do you have low blood pressure?" "Have you eaten today?"I quickly pay (leaving a generous tip) and repeatedly apologize explaining, "I have no idea...this doesn't normally happen." And seriously this is very true. I was not sick, I had eaten, I am clueless as to the cause of this embarrassing moment.

On my return trip I practically ran past the store! But I definitely saw her, and I'm pretty sure she saw me. My plan was to call her and have her come to my house, but now....? So my question is..."If you were me...would you ever face Nicole again?" ('Cause her massages are quite helpful to my french canadian man induced pain.)

No comments: