Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Fresh Start

I am currently fasting from Facebook for 21 days. (Though this automatically uploads there: which is slightly ironic!) My church does a 3 week fast each year in January in order to start the year out right. I don't think it's the smartest idea for me to do a food fast, but last week during church God whispered something about fasting Facebook. (I tried to ignore it...but then he got louder...) :)

Stovall (my pastor) was explaining that fasting is how we disconnect from the world and prayer is how we connect with God. And I knew that the best way for me to disconnect from the world was to unplug from Facebook. So no God didn't actually audibly tell me that Facebook was evil or anything, he just convicted me to challenge myself to disconnect from the world in this particular way for a few weeks. (So here I am procrastinating on my blog instead!)

I'm also reading Christine Caine's Stop Acting like a Christian: Just BE One for the 21 days of the fast (and 10 after, since it's a 31 day devotional). It's AWESOME! :) She is such an amazing writer, speaker, Christian, etc. Love her! And the A21 Campaign...I really hope that one day I will be able to go to Greece with my church...but back to my point...

As I sat down to think about New Year's Resolutions, I tried to recall my previous promises. (Disclaimer: I realized the New Year is was technically a week and a half ago, but I hadn't gotten around to it yet!) And I found (after reading 6 years of Xanga and blogs!) that I have never ("publicly") written about my resolutions! How odd. Anyway, none of them are earth shattering and most are repeats of previous years, but they are...

My 2010 New Years Resolutions: (in no particular order)
1-Spiritual: Read my bible more! Spend time with God every day!
2-Relaxation: Read all of the unread books on my shelves! Go to the beach more!
3-Art: Painting, Drawing,and Photography(I miss my artistic self! It's been a while!)
4-Fitness: Don't stop running! :) Dance! :) Ride my bike! :)
5-Health: Cook more! Eat 3 meals every day! Get sleep!
6-Social: Don't be such an introvert! Meet people and don't be a hermit!
7-Professional: Pray for my students every morning! Use my planning time wisely!
8-Other: Write more! (That includes this blog that I've been neglecting!) and Try new things!

I think 2 & 3 are the only new ones...and I'm excited about both! Anyway, I just thought I should get my thoughts down "on paper". So there they are. Maybe now I can come back to this post in a year and see how I did...and you (yes, you!) can hold me accountable!

Random comments: After reading 6 years of posts...I can't believe the road God has taken me on. Really when I think of all that He has delivered me from and taught me...I'm just in AWE. I mean really, I can't believe all that has happened since graduating from LU 6 years ago! It seems like an eternity. I don't even feel like the same person! Also, I found it funny that almost every year for my birthday I posted that I wasn't really celebrating! I'm guess that's true again, since my birthday is in 9 days and I have no birthday plans!? I guess my birthday has never been a big deal to me. So, is it weird that I'm surprised that I'll only be 28!? I always feel like I'm older--I'm gonna answer myself..."Yeh, that's weird."

No comments: