Friday, February 5, 2010

I Became a Teacher for the Three Month Summer Vacation

In the fall of 2003, while student teaching I suddenly realized that I was running out of money. I loved my jobs at the curriculum library and teaching dance, but lets face it I wasn't exactly bringing in the big bucks! In fact, I was exhausted and barely making ends meet. I determined that my plans for graduate school would have to be put on hold, and started to look for a job (get this...) using my degree that I was about to obtain! My plan was never to teach special education students, but I like all kids and I figured I could do it for 6 months and save up some money. (Turns out I liked it...haha)

In my search for a teaching job on the Department of Ed website I came across a summer job at the Governor's School for Visual and Performing Arts and Humanities. One thing led to another and before I knew it I had a summer job (before I even found a job for January!) I needed the money and figured the extra cash would help me in my efforts to get on with my plans. (graduate school, remember?) But little did I know this simple summer job would continue for 5 Julys and change my life.

Last year at this time, I was trying to determine if I would return for a 6th summer. My sister was due to have a baby and I was in the midst of building a house; consequently, I determined that was enough for one summer and made the decision to take a summer off. (what a novel idea for a teacher...) It turned out to be a great decision with what became a very hectic summer that I'm not exactly sure counts as a "summer off".

(In 2 months I drove to MD, spent fathers day with my dad and took the cats to "summer camp" at my moms, drove to FL, packed up my house, took a quick unexpected flight to VA, saw my adorable premature niece for 3 days, flew to FL, took teacher exams, went to Disney, drove to SC, had a girls vacation with college friends, drove to VA, spent 3 weeks with my adorable niece, drove to DC, picked up my old furniture and cats, drove to FL, put the furniture in storage and dropped the cats at a friends, closed on a house, babysat my friends kids for a weekend, moved my stuff and cats into my house, drove to TN, visited grad school friends, was in my dad's wedding, drove to FL, and suddenly the summer ended and school started....wow, that was tiring just typing....and I'm pretty sure I left out a few things!)

A summer away made realize just how much of a constant governor's school had become in my life. I said last summer that it wasn't goodbye for good, but I didn't know that would translate into my last post. After the recent developments with govschool, I started looking at other summer possibilities (because apparently I don't relax well...)

And I found the National Writer's Project! It is an amazing summer program for teachers where you learn to be a better writer and a better writing teacher! One of my dearest friends attended years ago and highly recommended it. I found an institute at UVA and got really excited! The program runs July 5-30 from 9am-3pm every day. How perfect! I could spend a month of evenings with my niece while becoming a better teacher and writer! You even get 6 hours of graduate credit. (Not that I need credits...I already have 66, and it's not like they'll count for a PhD if I go back...) And the website advertises grants! Perfect consolation for my mourning of govschool, right!?

But then I found out that as a teacher from outside of Virginia, I am not eligible for the grant money and it will be $2,000! I realize that God could have other plans for my summer, but I can't help but be sad. First no govschool, now no NWP. :(

So now I'm wondering if I can find some grant money or save up some tutoring money before the summer or if God has something even better in store. (a mission trip to Greece, perhaps?) :)

But seriously check out just some of what the Writer's Project advertises: (And let me know if you know of any amazing grant opportunities out there!)



Come to…
• discover and enrich yourself as a writer
• share with and learn from other teachers
• deepen your understanding of writing instruction in your content area

The heart of the Institute is the opportunity to engage in personal and professional writing and to experience and reflect on successful classroom practices in the teaching of writing and using writing as a mode of learning. In a collaborative, supportive setting, we will hone our craft as writers, share our teaching practices, examine current research in the field, and learn from guest speakers. In doing so, we will look closely at effective teaching processes in a wide range of areas, such as:
• Developing the writer’s voice
• Helping students to focus on one main point
• Strengthening students’ writing in various curriculum areas
• Practicing revision and editing
• Using technology to enhance writing
• Most importantly, taking an in-depth look at successful ways by which to engage students as writers




No comments: