Friday, March 12, 2010

I Should Have Paid Attention in Bible College

If you were to assume that I (as a graduate of a Christian University) have a pretty good understanding of theology....well, you might be wrong. When I was at Liberty I was way too busy working at the Y, curriculum library, and Club Body Co....being a prayer leader, SLD, and RA...taking way too many classes...doing a million practicums....and well, you get the idea. I was trying to make enough money to stay in school and graduate in 3 years. It was a bit insane.

And now I find myself saying (all too often), "I should have paid attention in bible college." I really took for granted the opportunities I had while I was there. Of course, I did the minimum to get by and actually managed a 3.5 GPA...but my religion classes were usually the least of my worries and often my worst grades. I had classes in New Testament and Old Testament. In NT I'm pretty sure I spent the semester flirting with a guy in my class (what?....I was a freshman, I didn't even think I'd stay at LU!)...and I don't even remember OT! Then I had 2 theology courses: the first I took in a video format (and got a C), the second I took in a one week intensive. (Clearly I learned a lot!) I even had a class in Apologetics...sadly it was pass/fail which translated to "I only have to go on test days".



Anyway...this week I once again found myself wishing I had actually paid attention in these classes. A friend of mine was looking at private schools and read the Apostle's Creed (above) aloud to me. And it really stunned me. This might sound crazy but I had never heard anyone say that Christ went to Hell for 3 days. My first thought was "People believe this!?" Then my second thought was "Wait, is that true?" And then my head became a flurry of thoughts and for some reason I suddenly doubted what I had ever believed. So after a few days of thinking I knew that this was something that I personally do not believe, but I wanted to learn where the belief came from. And so I found myself reading up on the Apostle's Creed tonight. Yes, this is what I was doing on a Friday night.

I really should have paid attention in bible college.




2 comments:

James L. Cartee iii said...

I agree with some of the points you make here. I think it would definitely help people to sometimes know the historical knowledge of what they believe. I recited the Apostle's Creed many times when I was younger in church. I also watched your Youtube video listed above. These artists are indeed talented.

Jennifer Renée said...

thanks james...you should look at the discussion that followed this post on facebook (my blog imports to my notes) and I'm glad you like tal and acacia...they are my new faves! :P