Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Minimum Wage in Haiti is Five Dollars a Day


If you read my last post, you know I'm raising money for a missions trip to Haiti.  I have about a month until the total is due and I have just over $1,000 left to raise.  I'm so thankful to all of my family and friends who have donated so far.  I'm more than blessed to have people to partner with me in this mission.  I am so grateful to each of the persons who have already chosen to support me financially...but there is one donation I got this week that touched me the most.

It wasn't the amount of the donation that made it so special.  It was the person behind the donation.  When I saw the name, I was overwhelmed--with surprise, with gratefulness, with honor.  It meant more to me than I could ever explain to you or to the young lady who gave a gift of $5 to support my trip.

I haven't seen this person for over 6 years.  I didn't ask her to support my trip.  I didn't send her an e-mail, a message, or a letter in the mail personally notifying her of my plans to go to Haiti...but she saw one of my Facebook posts about my trip and decided she wanted to give.  And I couldn't be more thankful.

Why did it touch me so deeply?  Because she is one of my "kids".    Once upon a time, she was cheerleader, and I was her coach.  No she's not a kid (anymore).  In fact, she has a 5-year old kid of her own and is about the same age I was when I became her coach.  But my cheerleaders, my dancers, my campers, my students....they will always be my "kids" and I will forever be grateful for the opportunity to call them that.  To have one of them partner with me to help me fulfill a dream of mine means the world to me.

No, $5 isn't a lot of money in the United States.  You probably spent more than that on coffee,dinner, or the movies this weekend.  But if just one-sixth of my Facebook friends gave $5, my trip to Haiti would be more than paid for.  That's such a powerful thought.  Sometimes we're fooled into thinking that we can't make a difference.  We think that we can't do or give enough to make an impact.  But we all have the power to make a change.  If we were all to live our lives believing this simple truth, we would see that we can all make an impact greater than we could ever imagine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did you know that the minimum wage in Haiti is $5/day?
What did you spend $5 on today?

Consider making a difference with the next $5 you spend by supporting my trip to Haiti.  https://my410bridge.org/jkilpat1

No comments: