Monday, April 15, 2013

Dear Students,

I was asked to write a "letter to students" as a course assignment.  The letter below is what flowed out when my hands began to type.  I submitted it to my professor and read it aloud to my classmates, but you, dear students, are the real audience.  I know that most of you will never see letter, but I hope that by sharing it here on my blog, some of you might have the opportunity to read these words intended just for you.   

To each and every one of you—I am writing this letter, because I want to say thank you.

My tiniest little dancers--Club Body Co, 2004


Thank you for inspiring me.  You are the reason I do what I do.  I could not imagine a more rewarding way to spend my days.  I know that there are many other journeys I could have chosen.  Yet, when I think about the other career paths I once imagined for my life, I am confident that none of them could be as fulfilling as being an educator.  Every day, I am inspired by the things you say, the things you accomplish, and the things you teach me.  My paycheck will never measure up to that of a doctor, lawyer, or even a politician, but thanks to you I will always have purpose, I will always have passion, and I will always be rich.

A few of my 5th graders--CES, 2005


Thank you for challenging me.  You’ve helped me learn how to stand up for what I believe in and to be a voice for those without one.  You’ve taught me what it means to overcome.  You’ve made me want to be a better teacher and a better person.  You make me want to aim higher.  You make sure than I never stop learning and that I never stop wanting to learn.  You ensure that I set goals and follow through with them, and you are always my biggest cheerleaders.  Your support means more than you could ever imagine.

Marathon congratulations from my 8th grade fan club--FSDB DMS, 2011


Thank you for being honest.  You keep it real, and I appreciate that.  You tell me when my outfit is “way old school”, my hair is “outta control”, my drawings are terrible, or my lessons are totally boring.  Sometimes your honesty is tough to swallow, but that’s okay—because it means even more when you pay me that rare compliment.  You’ll never know how much it means...when you tell me that you love my read alouds, when you tell me that you used to hate poetry but now you sorta-kinda-almost like it, or when you tell me, with tears in your eyes, that you’re going to miss our class next year. 

One of my readers--FSDB DMS, 2010

Thank you for trusting me.  Most of us begin the year as strangers, but soon enough we begin to build relationships.  We argue, we laugh, we cry, and we share our lives.  This takes courage. And it isn’t just me that you trust.  You trust each other.  The writing we do, the discussions we have, and the community we create would never be possible without your willingness to be vulnerable.  I admire you for that.  It isn’t easy.  I know. 

My crazy 7th & 8th graders--FSDB DMS, 2012


Thank you for making me smile.  I won’t lie--there are days when being an educator isn’t easy.  In fact, most days are difficult.  I don’t remember many days in the classroom that haven’t included some sort of challenge.  And yet, I cannot recall a day devoid of happiness.  When I’ve had a bad morning, you always have a story that brightens my day.  When I’m up late grading papers, your unintentionally hilarious stories make me laugh out loud.  And when I see you accomplish the goals you hadn’t always believed to be possible, I cannot help but smile and forget about all the struggles. 

Silly 8th Grade Girls in the National Sculpture Garden--FSDB DMS, 2011

Thank you for giving me hope.  I often hear adults grumbling about the youth of today.  But you have showed me that things aren’t always as they seem.  Your curiosity is proof that you want to learn.  Your kindness and compassion show me that you really do care.  Your perspectives challenge me to view the world in a new way.  You are the teachers of tomorrow—and that doesn’t scare me, because you’ve already taught me so much.  I believe in you, and I always hope that you know that. 

A few of my cottage girls at Ijams--TSD, 2007


Thank you for making me proud.  The time I have with you is always far too short.  After a year or two, you or I move on.   I once thought that meant that you would no longer be “my kids” and I would never know what you went on to accomplish, but I was wrong.  I’ve watched you chase your dreams...from joining the soccer team, to joining the circus.  I’ve witnessed your graduations from elementary school, middle school, high school and for some—even college.  And although I don’t want to admit that many of you are no longer “kids”, I’ve seen photographs of your weddings and your children.  And I couldn’t be prouder—of the things you’ve done, the things you’re doing, and the things you will do.  You amaze me.

Varsity Cheerleaders at NC State Camp--ACHS, 2005


I’m writing this letter because I want to say thank you.  Thank you for inspiring me, for challenging me, for being honest, for trusting me, for making me smile, for giving me hope, for making me proud, and most of all, for being you.  You have taught me far more than I could ever teach you.  And I couldn’t be more grateful. 

The 8th grade crew at Gallaudet--FSDB DMS, 2011


Thank you from the bottom of my heart,
Jen
(aka--Miss Jen/KP/Coach KP/Miss KP/Miss Kilpatrick) 

No comments: