Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Why We Teach...

  • Teachers are over-worked. 
  • Teachers earn very little money.    
  • Teachers make a lot of sacrifices.  
  • Teachers receive very little respect.  
  • Teachers are emotionally drained.  
  • Teachers are blamed by politicians. 
  • Teachers are under-appreciated.  
I could go on.  There are countless unpleasantries (to put it mildly) today's teachers face.  Being a teacher is tough!  And yet, most teachers I know love their job. Why?  Because there are moments when we know that we have made a difference.  Something we have said or done has helped a student to grow as a learner and/or as a person.  And suddenly, all those things we wish we could change about our profession are irrelevant for at least that moment...and being a teacher is the most rewarding job in the world.  Moments like this are why we teach.  

Last night, I received the note pictured below from a former student. Her thank you note brought tears to my eyes.  I couldn't help but think that I should be the one thanking her. She could never know how much her words meant to me.  I am beyond thankful that she took the time to remind me of the rewards of teaching. Moments like this are why we teach.


No comments: