Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Keys and Palm Trees

Today started out like any other. My alarm went off at 5:40 and I hit snooze and snuggled back under my comforter. Okay so maybe that is a little abnormal, but it was in the 30s last night. That's really cold when you live in FL and don't use heat! Anyway....got up at 6, got ready, walked out the door.

Then my heart skipped a beat, I looked down at my keychain and confirmed my fears. My key (to the house) was not on the ring. (I only have one and though I've told myself to make a copy a hundred times, I never got around to it. And last night after my run, my key apparently did not find it's way back to my keyring.) Crap!


So during the day I called a few locksmiths and met one at the house at 4:30. So yeh, apparently I live in Ft. Knox! It took him an hour to get in the flippin' house! So down an hour and 120 bucks I finally got in the house. After a few phone calls, I headed out for the next adventure: palm trees.


Sure they look beautiful and tropical. But they're not all they're cracked up to be. The ones in my yard have needed a makeover for quite some time. Problema: Jen knows nothing about palm trees or how to prune them. I researched on the internet and bought a pair of special pruning shears. So today I set out on a mission to revamp these trees.


Maybe it was the fall weather inspiring me? Without leaves to rake, I opted for the next best choice: palm tree pruning. So uhm...who knew this chore could be so dangerous? After cutting down about 10 branches a branch fell and hit me square in the face. It hurt, but I was trying to be all tough. (Come on, I was doing yard work, right?) So I moved on to the next branch. Then I felt wetness on my face. Assuming, my eye was watering, I reached up to wipe away tears. Instead a quick glance at my hand revealed lots of blood. Crap! (again)


So I start towards the house when suddenly Nosy Neighbor says, "Whatcha doing over there?" I sorta blew him off and went inside for a rag. I went out and apologized and met his wife, whom I've seen before but never formally met. What a nice introduction. "Hi my name is Jen and I'm a serious klutz." They invited me over for dinner. (Poor girl she has no family and obviously can't take care of herself.) I politely declined, finished my chore, and headed inside.


Now I'm hanging around, watching TV, and icing my eye. The swelling is going down, but it's turning purple. This is going to be so fun to explain tomorrow. Ay de mi. Just one of those days.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Oh no! Poor you :( Hope the rest of your week is much, much better! On the bright side, you could go as a boxer for Halloween!

Jennifer Renee said...

lol, thanks! things could be much worse...though I will admit my face hurts

what a great idea...maybe I'll be Rocky! :)`

Mary said...

Oh my Jen. I'm so sorry you hurt yourself and didn't have such a great day. I hope you're feeling much better! Love you *mwah*. :o)