Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween Celebration of Sorts

Now that I am not working as a "mom", Halloween is quite different. No trick or treating, costumes, pumpkin carving, or fall festivals with kids. So today seemed much like any other. I wore a teacheresque large pumpkin necklace with a black shirt in efforts to "celebrate Halloween"and went about my day like a normal Friday school day.

By now you are well aware of the "palm tree story", but I really hadn't told many people at work. My eye was only slightly purple and with makeup it may have passed as a sleep deprived circle for yesterday and much of today. I'm assuming it wasn't too noticable, because no one had really inquired about it, but suddenly at the end of the day today several teachers asked, "What happened to your eye!?" At first I thought it was a blunt deaf thing and that maybe other teachers hadn't asked because they were trying to be polite. But after several inquiries, I thought it must be more noticable now. As soon as I got back from walking the kids to the bus I took a pit stop at the mirror and saw this:

Uh, apparently it's more noticeable! So I stole my friend Emily's idea for a Halloween costume.

Any guesses? I should hold a contest, but only like 5 of you read this. So I'll just tell you. I'm a black-eyed pea! Get it? :) (Yeh, I know I'm a nerd.) I figured if makeup isn't going to cover it I'll embrace it before I come face to face with all of my neighbors and their children! :)

Anyway, after work I picked up some candy and headed home to carve my pumpkins and greet trick or treaters. I know it's a little late for pumpkins, but I just hadn't gotten around to it! Steph and I bought them last week, but never carved them. So I figured "better late than never." I think they turned out pretty good considering I didn't use a pattern. I didn't even draw on them first; I just started cutting! :) And I was carving in between answering the door.









What do you think? The pictures aren't great, but you get the idea. One little boy told me he liked the crosses. Aww... :)

So my favorite costume of the night...Thing 1 and 2. They were sooo cute! These little blonde twin girls had on red footed pajamas. Their mom cut out Thing 1 and 2 circles and taped them on their bellies. They were maybe 2 years old. They kept turning around and telling me "Byyyeee". So cute! :)

Now it's raining and the kids have gone to seek shelter, and I'm blogging 'cause there's nothing else for a single girl to do on Halloween. Hope you all had a wonderful time celebrating Halloween in your own way.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Perfect costume! Love it!!